News of Note
- Annual Florida Bird Events
- Annotated list of bird and wildlife events around the state, with links to the event sites.
- The FWC and Feral Cats
- What's going on (sorta) and links to more information.
- Everglades Shenanigans
- As reported by Gristmill Magazine: Swamp Bling,
US News and World Report: A Real Swampy Deal, and Bloomberg: Bush Administration Overvalued Florida Land Rights, Report Says (June 8, 2005)
- ENN: Florida Seeks to Restrict Phone Cables Near Coral Reefs
- The state cabinet has approved the preliminary request but telecomm companies aren't happy. (December 12, 2002)
- E/The Environmental Magazine: Poisoning Frogs: Are People Next?
- Despite research that links the pesticide atrazine to sexual mutations in frogs, the EPA is considering a three- to four-fold increase for atrazine standards in drinking water. (Nov/Dec 2002)
- ENN: Animal Park Owner Pleads Guilty to Charge of Trafficking Exotic Animals
- Timothy Dale Rivers, originally charged with a felony violation of federal wildlife protection law, pleads guilty to lesser charge. He and others bought and killed tigers, leopards, snow leopards, lions, mountain lions, cougars, and black bears to produce meat and skins for the animal-parts trade. (August 15, 2002)
- E/The Environmental Magazine: Going, Going...
Exotic Species are Decimating America's Native Wildlife
- Includes the threat of free-roaming pets and feral cats to the endangered Key Largo cotton mouse and the endangered Lower Keys marsh rabbit. (May/June 2002)
- ENS: Florida Creates Rhode Island Size Wildlife Corridor
- The Nature Conservancy negotiated a deal to acquire over 50,000 acres of the Pinhook Swamp, linking the 157,000 acres of Osceola National Forest to the south with the 400,000 acres of the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge to the north. (March 13, 2001)