Central Florida Tornadoes, February, 1998
In the wee hours of Monday, February 23, 1998, tornadoes ripped across central Florida, killing 40 people in Osceola, Orange, Seminole, and Volusia Counties. Many more were injured and many homes were destroyed or damaged. The tornadoes destroyed more than 1700 buildings and damaged more than 1400.
For more information, check the following links:
Don't be caught off-guard!
- National Weather Service, Melbourne, FL
- Overview of the storms, complete with detailed radar images and photos
- National Severe Storms Lab
- Radar images and overview
- The Tornado Project Online
- Tornado facts (and myths), what to do, tornado accounts
- Are You Safe?
- Maybe not... find out how lax Florida's building codes are and what's being done about it.
Read the announcements about the latest weather radios.
Copyright © 1997-2015 Marianne Cowley
All Rights Reserved